An early morning fire on Wednesday razed the Bakassi Hall, one of the female hostels at the Yaba College of Technology in Lagos.
Witnesses told Daily Sun that the  fire which started at 5:10am razed the hostel top floor before extending to other parts of the building.
Spokesman for the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) said Firefighters from the college fire service unit arrived 30 minutes after the inferno started but ran out of water midway. The students later mobilized and tried desperately to put out the fire.
Fire fighters from University of Lagos and the Lagos Fire Service arrived at 6:00am and joined the rescue efforts but the fire raged on.
A female student simply known as Onome sustained a neck injury and has been taken to a military hospital close to the college for treatment.
The fire was finally put at about 7:30am and normalcy has returned to the school.
Meanwhile, all academic activities in YABATECH have been suspended indefinitely following Wednesday’s fire outbreak in the college.
Meanwhile the management of the School said it has suspended all academic activities until further notice as result of the fire incident at the Bakassi Hostel.
A statement from the School’s spokesman, Charles Oni said “by this notice, all examinations and lectures, especially scheduled for today have been put on hold while the College attends to the exigency.
“The Management regrets the misguided and outright falsehood on the social media and calls to certain radio stations that there was no water on campus to quell the fire. The truth is that firemen needed an excavator to attend to the fire, which the College provided promptly.
“Meanwhile, the Rector, Dr. Margaret Ladipo has called on the College community to remain calm as the Management finds ways to soothe the pains inflicted by the accident.”