(Rose Ejembi, MAKURDI)

Barely 72 hours after an initial attack on Logo, Benue State Police Command has confirmed that eight persons were killed yesterday by persons suspected to be Fulani herdsmen in Logo and Ukum Local Government Areas of the state.

Daily Sun gathered from sources in the area that the boarder towns of Benue State with Taraba yesterday at about 9:30pm to 12midnight came under heavy and well coordinated attacks by the Fulani herdsmen.

Our source, Hon. Joseph Anawah, an aide to former Governor Gabriel Suswam said villages worst hit by the rampaging herdsmen were Anyiin town, Uzer, Jootar, and Gov all in Logo Local government as well as Gbeji and Vaase in Ukum Local government area.

“In Anyiin, as residents retired to bed, sporadic gun shots were heard around Tsukwa settlement. The JTF responded swiftly but it was difficult to apprehend the perpetrators because of darkness and the rain that showered at the time.”

While noting that corpses had been recovered at the scene of attacks from Anyiin axis, Anawah stated further that several other villagers who sustained Machete cuts and gun shots were receiving treatment at NKST hospital Anyiin.

“One corpse each was discovered at Uzer Tombo Ward and Gov settlement while several casualties recorded at the Gbeji and Vaase attacks. At the time of this report several other people were missing,” he said.

Anawah explained that the Fulani attackers came from Awe side of Nassarawa state after they crossed the River Benue and successfully launched the attacks on Benue communities adding that the operations at Anyiin, Uzer, Jootar, Gov and Vaase took place simultaneously. It was indeed a coordinated attack.

Already, members of the affected communities and neighbouring villages were seen fleeing their homes for fear of more attacks in the days to come.

Confirming the report, state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), ASP Moses Yamu said eight corpses had been recovered in the affected local government areas adding that the attackers succeeded in launching the attack at about 2am yesterday after their initial effort to attack the areas was rebuffed by the police.

The Police spokesman however appealed to both the Tiv farmers and the Fulani herdsmen to allow for peace even as he advised villagers who are already fleeing the trouble areas in droves to turn back to their homes as security had been beefed up in the areas.