The Management of National Hospital, Abuja, has released five more bodies of those who died during Nigerian Immigration Service recruitment to their family members.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that only one out of the seven bodies deposited at the National Hospital mortuary on March 14 was earlier claimed after proper identification.
The hospital’s spokesman, Dr Tayo Haastrup, said on Saturday that: “we had earlier released only one body but in the last two days, we have released five more bodies to family members of the deceased.
“We are left with one body and it will be released to the family members after proper identification,’’ Haastrup said.
He said two women were still on admission in the hospital and hoped that they would be discharged soon.
An eyewitness in the hospital told NAN that shortly after a directive of President Goodluck Jonathan to compensate the families of the deceased and the injured, more people had visited the hospital claiming to be injured.
Haastrup, however, said the hospital management had directed such people to the Nigerian Immigration Service office to state their claims.
“The management has a list of people who were treated and admitted at the hospital as a result of the stampede.
“We cannot be fraudulent and begin to include names of people we did not treat; so we have asked them to go to the appropriate office.
He said that the management would release the list of the victims to the appropriate authorities when it was needed. (NAN)