The Sun News

Egypt: Al-Sisi submits bid for second term

dpa/NAN

Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi on Wednesday, January 24, submitted to the high election commission his bid for a second term in office, a local media report said.

According to the report, Bahaa Abu Shoqa, Spokesman for al-Sissi’s campaign, handed the candidacy papers to the commission.

Al-Sisi came to power in 2014, a year after he led the overthrow of the country’s first democratically elected president, Mohammed Morsi.

So far, he was the only candidate who submitted his papers for the election, scheduled to take place over three days beginning on March 26.

Sami Annan, former army chief of staff, was banned from running on Tuesday after the military announced that he was facing investigation on suspicion of breaching military regulations.

Opposition rights lawyer Khaled Ali is now the only person aside from Al-Sisi who has announced a bid for the presidency.

He had yet to present his papers to the election committee.

Report says Al-Sisi is widely expected to win.

Share

About author

Tokunbo David
Tokunbo David

Writer and editor.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Archive

April 2018
S M T W T F S
« Mar    
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  

Enquiries

Take advantage of our impressive statistics, advertise your brands and products on this site. Get in touch. For print/online adverts inquires: 09070051404

EDITOR

Online Editor: Aderonke Bello
Telephone: 08189015120
Email:  [email protected]

Share